With this campaign we want to provide temporary face masks to people, who are at risk of infection for others or who have to protect themselves.
There are many reasons to be at risk, e.g. work in system-relevant professions, aid organizations, neighborhood help or lack of access to the health system. Besides, through the sewing campaign we want to help prevent hospitals and medical practices from further problems in obtaining certified protective masks.
Nice that you want to help sewing temporary face masks!
Here you can find the "How to sew a face mask" as PDF.
CAUTION: The masks should not be a replacement for certified face masks, because they cannot provide the same safety standard. The masks are intended to protect against droplet and smear infections, thus further slowing down the spread of COVID-19.
It is still important to ensure sufficient hygiene and safety distance! Special caution is required when removing the mouthguard.
Afterward please clean/disinfect hands again.
- I am healthy and would like to help sewing temporary face masks.
- Find instructions:
- wash or disinfect your hands thoroughly before sewing and wear a mouth guard at work if possible.
- after making the masks, please boil them for 5 minutes or wash them at 60°C. After drying, please place the masks in a sealable plastic bag with cleaned/disinfected hands or gloves and mouthguard.
- tell us where the masks can be picked up or bring them by appointment to the polyclinic, Taubestraße 2, 04347 Leipzig-Schönefeld.
We appreciate your help!
You can download the Instruction leaflet for temporary masks as PDF here.
Instruction leaflet for temporary masks
Why should I wear a mask?
What else should you consider?
How do I put the mask on correctly?
- Wash your hands thoroughly for at least 20-30 seconds, this will above all rinse most viruses from your hands.
- In addition, the corona virus has a lipid coating, which is particularly vulnerable to commercial soap.
- The masks are already washed, but should be washed or boiled again before wearing them for the first time (see below).
- The masks have been tested by us, but check for holes before wearing.
- Cover mouth and nose tightly and, if available, adjust the metal frame to the shape of the nose.
- The mask should allow air to pass through it, not only next to the mask.
- Pull the rubber over the ears or knot the fabric bands behind the head
Does the mask fit tight?
- Do I get good air? (If your glasses fog up, the mask should be fitted better to your nose and be looser at the chin)
- How long can I wear the mask?
- Masks should be washed at the very latest after one day of use, or until itbecomes soaked through with moisture.
How do I remove the mask correctly?
- You should be particularly careful not to ouch any surfaces.
- When taking the mask off, touch only the straps and place it directly into a sealed waterproof bag, or wash it directly.Afterwards it is important to wash or disinfect your hands!
How do I clean the mask?
- For cleaning, the mask must be boiled for 5 minutes or washed at 60°C.